No of Visitors
With effect from 01 September 2010 VISA services of the Embassy of India are handled by VISA Processing Services located at:
UL. Rejtana 15, Flat 13 (7th
Floor) 02-516 Warsaw
Phone: 22 542 41 90 / 91
In an Emergency
Indian Nationals may call
+48 606 700 105
PIO CARD FOR PERSONS OF INDIAN ORIGIN
The Government of India for the convenience of persons of Indian origin has launched the 'PIO Card' scheme, aimed at making the journey back to the roots, simpler, easier, flexible and trouble free.
Download PIO Card Application Form
Eligibility for PIO Card
Who at any time held an Indian passport; or
He/she or either of his/her parents or grandparents or great grandparents was born in and permanently resident in India as defined in the Government of India Act, 1935 and other territories that became part of India thereafter provided neither was at any time a citizen of any country as may be specified by the Central Government from time to time; or
who is a spouse of a citizen of India or a person of Indian origin as mentioned above is eligible to hold a PIO card.
The scheme is broad-based, covers up to four generations and also the foreign spouse of a citizen of India or a PIO.
Benefits available to a PIO Card Holder
The various benefits available to a PIO cardholders are:
- No visa required for visiting India during the period of validity of PIO Card.
- Exemption from the requirement of registration if stay in India does not exceed 6 months. Should the continuous stay exceed six months, registration will be required within 30 days of the expiry of six months with the concerned Foreigners Registration Officer.
- Parity with non-resident Indians in respect of facilities available to the latter in economic, financial and educational fields.
- All facilities in the matter of acquisition, holding, transfer and disposal of immovable properties in India except in matters relating to the acquisition of agricultural/plantation properties.
- Facilities available to children of NRIs for getting admission to educational institutions in India including medical colleges, engineering colleges, Institutes of Technology, Institutes of Management etc. under the general categories.
- Facilities available under the various housing schemes of LIC, State Governments and other Government agencies.
Where to apply for the PIO Card
Applications for the PIO card should be made to an Indian Mission in the country where the applicant ordinarily resides.
PLN 1290 for each PIO card application, including minors.
PLN 80 for Affidavit in respect of each minor child and spouse.
PLN 80 for endorsement to be made in case of change/renewal of passport of PIO card holder.
Applicants already in India on Long-Term Visa (more than one year) should make the application for issue of a PIO Card to the following authorities:
|DELHI: Foreigners Regional Registration Officer, Hans Bhawan, I.P.
New Delhi 110 002.
Tel: 91-11-331 9489 Fax: 91-11-375 5183
|MUMBAI: Foreigners Regional Registration Officer,
Annexe II, Commissioner of Police, Crawford Market,
Tel: 91-22-262 1169 Fax: 91-22-262 0721
|CALCUTTA: Foreigners Regional Registration Officer,
237, Acharya J.C. Bose Road, Calcutta 700020
Tel: 91-33-247 3301 Fax: 91-33-247 0549
|CHENNAI: Chief Immigration Officer, Bureau of Immigration, Shastri Bhavan Annexe,
No. 26, Haddows Road, Chennai 600006
Tel: 91-44-827 7036 Fax: 91-44-827 7036
|Those residing in the other part of India:
Joint Secretary (Foreigners), Ministry of Home Affairs,
1st Floor, Lok Nayak Bhawan, Khan Market,
New Delhi 110 003
Tel: 91-11-469 3334 Fax: 91-11-462 1563
Tracing the Roots
Please see the following link
Validity of PIO Card
The validity of PIO card is 15 years subject to the validity of the passport.
Note: The PIO Card will be valid only when accompanied with a valid passport.